Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chocolate Puffs with Mascarpone Cream

In the 40s outside -- cold for Atlanta -- so it was a good day to stay in and do craftsy stuff and baking. This recipe from Martha Stewart is just so-so. I hadn't made cream puffs for decades, and back then I used to make the savory kind, hors d'ouvre size, with a tuna, crab, or chicken salad filling. So I'd basically forgotten the technique. These didn't rise as much as they should have, nor were they characteristically slightly hollow to hold the filling. Instead of following my instinct and beaten the eggs first, and tempered the eggs with the batter before adding, I followd the recipe, sheeplike, even though I knew better. So, they were just okay. The filling had a couple of drops of rosewater, not enough to notice. A little pink coloring for upcoming Valentine's Day.  And, they are really messy to eat. But, all in all, a nice diversion for an at-home day, and a fine accompaniment for afternoon coffee.

No comments: