Thursday, March 8, 2012

Finally finished!


This started out as a scrap afghan a couple of years or so ago. However, since I don't use variegated yarn very often, I did have two buy three or four more skeins of coordinating variegated. Then there's the matter of needing more of the white background color . . .
This afghan sat in a basket in my workroom for more than a year before I finally picked it up and decided last week to finish it off. The original pattern for the Star Quilt afghan called for making a bunch of little white diamond shapes to sew onto the edges in a certain way to fill in gaps, but I didn't think them necessary. And, not being fond of fringe, I omitted that, too. I just evened out the edges with a couple of rounds of single crochet, then added a last round of crab stitches for a neater look.
This is not my favorite afghan of the many I've made, and I don't know what I'll do with it. But every one always seems to find a home eventually.

6 comments:

Sharon GARDNER said...

It looks great!

Katie B said...

Looks nice!

GMaEllen said...

Oh my gosh! That is just fabulous! Great work.
I started one of these years and years ago. I quickly discovered how much I despise sewing pieces together, and now it sits in my ceder chest unfinished. I no longer have the resources to find the main color! I should just dig it out and make some pillow covers or something I guess. I admire your fortitude. :D

Cathy said...

THis looks like a great way to use of scraps (i swear they multiply when I'm not looking!)I would love to locate the pattern. Do you recall where you found it?

Misty Catron said...

I would love to have the pattern for this!!!

Curmudgea said...

The pattern is in a 1984 McCall's book called Quilts and Afghans. The book is sometimes available on ebay a very reasonable price.