Friday, September 9, 2011

Desserts this week









Just about all of my favorite desserts -- with the possible exception of caramel flan -- are built around fruit. And this week was no exception. The Pavlova (which I've made with all manner of berries as well as peaches) really kept a nice shape for filling, so I snapped a photo of it. Too bad the prettiest one I ever made was with raspberries and blackberries, and darned if I didn't forget to take a picture that time.




And tonight I tried a clafoutis with plums (sprinkled with brown sugar) for the first time. Usually I make it with a jar of cherries from Trader Joe's or fresh apples or pears. Plums weren't quite as good, but they made a more photogenic dessert. I like plums better in a rustic tart or a cobbler.




Both desserts created through the magic chemistry of eggs. For one, egg whites beaten really, really stiff with sugar to create a lovely, marshmallowlike meringue, and for the other whole eggs just lightly whisked to make a rich custardy dessert.

No comments: