Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A White Sport Coat and



A Pink Carnation -- crocheted, that is.


While trying to decide what to do for the last couple of 6-inch flower squares (of 56 planned), I had a hankering for a pink carnation and -- unable to find a pattern that I liked -- devised this one myself. Once you've made fifty-some different flower squares, it's pretty easy to "ad lib" your own non-botanically-correct fantasy flowers derived from several basic types of crocheted flowers.


My carnation turned out so poufy,though, that I think I'll save it for a little girl's hat. It could be "squared" by adding a ch 1 between each petal on Row 3, then add a round where you sl st and ch about between and behind each petal. Then on the next rowmake a corner in every other ch sp and a row of dc in the alternating 4 ch sp. I have seen a pattern for an afghan made up of all carnation squares, where the flowers are really high, but I'm not sure I'd like that for an afghan that would actually be used as a coverlet.



H crochet hook
Small amount of pink worsted weight yarn

Finished size: about 4-1/2 inches in diameter and about 2-1/2 inches high

Round 1. Ch 6 and connect with sl st to form a ring.
Round 2. Sc, ch 3 eight in ring 8 times. At the end of the eighth ch 3, connect with first sc.
Round 3. In each ch 3 sp, sl st, ch 4, 8 dtr, ch 4, sl st.
Round 4. In each ch and in each dtr around, sl st and make a ch3 picot, ending with sl stitch in first sl st. Fasten off.


For a fuller carnation, in Round 3 do 10 instead of 8 dtr.

No comments: