Wednesday, November 3, 2010

More about the Comanches

I did get around to reading the unputdownable nonfiction book, "Empire of the Summer Moon," mentioned in an earlier post, and here's what I wrote on amazon.com:

Gwynne's excellent book couldn't have come along at a better time for me: I'd just finished reading Paulette Giles' wonderful novel, based loosely on the true story of a former slave's effort to rescue his wife and child, who were captured by the Comanches. "Empire of the Summer Moon," was, in its own way, just as riveting as Giles' fiction. As a journalist, Gwynne knows how to turn history into what it should be: a good story. He weaves into his account the stories of individuals -- Quanah, of course, and his mother Cynthia Parker, as well military prodigy Ranald Mackenzie, famous Texas ranger Jack Hays, and others -- so that you want to keep reading to find out what happens to them. And, I never thought I could be so intrigued by horses, guns, and battle strategy, but when the writing is this good it can hold my interest in things normally outside my interests. I'm looking forward to whatever's next from this terrific new history writer.

No comments: