Monday, October 18, 2010


Italian comfort food

A photo couldn't do this justice! Tonight I had some Italian chicken sausage and decided to make an old family favorite from years ago: Italians sausage and peppers. When we lived in Chicago, then New Jersey, it was a favorite dish with everybody.

And what a winner this recipe was. I based it loosely on Giada's recipe on the Food Network website, using up the last handful of fresh basil of the season from my pot on the deck. If I'd had sweet Italian sausage (will check out Trader Joe's for that), I'd have used the cup of Marsala wine Giada's recipe called for. But, because it was the smoked variety, I used dry vermouth.

The whole thing was great, high-flavor comfort food -- with its thick sauce just right for sandwiches. Served on slightly scooped out mini French baguettes from Costco. I couldn't stand to throw out those insides, so after dinner they went into the processor for bread crumbs. I feel so virtuous; my mom would've been proud.

No comments: